Saturday, April 27, 2013

10 Truths of Social Media Success Pt. 6





I love the power of illusion and stage magic. It is really entertaining, and it is something that I have considerable skill in. The entire act you just watched, I can duplicate. I know exactly how it works because I have studied the magic arts for many years, especially when it comes to card manipulation and sleight of hand. I love it and it is so much fun to perform.

But it is just a performance.

It's meant to appear real...but it isn't.

It's illusion.

This brings me to my next truth about social media success.

People want you to:

#6 Be Honest and Authentic

I don't know about you, but I deal with people who are fake all day long. I mean all day...Heck most of us do.

I know it's easy to be fake on social media, I mean really, no one is going to see you anyway, right?

But there's the rub...

Because it's easy to be fake, people who are following you and are your friends on social media are much more aggressive about trying to figure out your intentions or the intentions of others. It's so refreshing to deal with people who are authentic that I will do everything I can to never lose them. 

This means, don't open up other accounts pretending to be someone else in order to leverage something. That's dishonest.

This means don't represent yourself as being the kind of person that is a certain type of person when you aren't. People will sift through your years of electronic presence trying to find out more about you, if they sniff that you might be misrepresenting yourself. Believe me.

Just be conspicuously honest about who you are and what and whom you represent and you will never have any problems. People will see you as somone they can trust and will tell others that you can be trusted as well.

Life isn't an illusion. Just be you.

Be honest and authentic.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Jason, and your post inspired my latest tweet in consideration :) This very theme has been a process in my own life, to get to the heart of it. Keep the thoughts rolling, J.S.S., your presence is enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andre,

      I am going to go check it out right now. I just see so much about how to be succesful on Twitter and FB, and none of it talks about being authentic and being true to who and what you are.
      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  2. Well said! I agree completely. I think too often people worry that just being themselves isn't "good enough" or "entertaining", but the truth is that just by virtue of you being a separate individual, you WILL be interesting to others. What topics you discuss or what ideas you bring to the table are what is important, not the persona you put forth.

    I personally have other facets of my online life that I keep separate from my online presence as a writer, but that is primarily a matter of those simply being irrelevant to my writing. What I put forth in my persona as a writer is genuinely me. It has to be that way, otherwise you're essentially creating a house of cards that must eventually fall.

    Just be yourself, and the rest will fall into place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brandon,

      You're 100% right. Just be yourself. I have no idea the kind of people that others like. I don't want to try to be that guy. I just want to be me and let the chips fall where they may.

      Delete