Thursday, January 31, 2013

Check out "Steam" by Jessica Fortunato! Releasing on Friday February 1st






So I've been gone for a while.... Sorry that it has been so long between posts. But I come out of hiatus with some great news!

I just read the greatest short story. A love story. A sci-fi story. Is it a little steam-punk too? I think it might be! I just read "Steam" by Jessica Fortunato and it was great! It's releasing on Friday! There's a great description of the story on Goodreads:

Charlotte Amelia Caprice may seem like an ordinary girl. She has a job she hates, a boss she despises, and zero romantic prospects. Her friends call her Charlie, when she can keep one for more than a few weeks. Though Charlie may seem ordinary, she is anything but. Charlie doesn’t have a heart. Instead, she has a steam driven machine in her chest, always making her feel less than human. Gears and pistons have been using her own body heat to pump her blood for over a decade. There is one small problem. Her heart is beginning to break. When Charlie meets a brilliant man, one who could save her life, she must choose between being heartless and being alive. A simple choice for some, but for Charlie living on steam isn’t easy.” (description from Goodreads)

I was first introduced to the writing of Jessica Fortunato when I read her Sin Collector books "The Sin Collector" and The Sin Collector: Thomas" Both of these books grabbed me by my neck and wouldn't let me go. Steam is a different story for Ms. Fortunato and I am so happy to see that she can step out into other areas, with a little romance. Let me tell you why I loved this story.

Characters: Ms. Fortunato is an accomplished author when it comes to injecting just the right amount of humanity into her characters. Although the situation is purely fictional, the reader can feel the situation and the conflict rising from the page. she is really great and making you care about her characters and giving them dueling motivations and desires. Her characters have a lot pulling at them and you hope that they are making the right decisions, ones that will not harm them. I loved the character of Charlie. She's been keeping a secret for so long and you can feel it. It's a secret that has made her very lonely.

Emotion: This story is full of it and I love the way that Ms. Fortunato messes with my notions about how the story is going to go, emotionally.  She has a way of tugging at my heartstrings and keep me feeling for the plight of the characters.

Themes: This story is great at exploring some common themes without being too preachy. Love conquers all. All you need is one person who cares. Holding on to secrets can break your heart. So many things to think about. All of Fortunato's books are chock full of great themes! Love it!

All together, I was drawn into this story and loved it much more than I thought I would. I would give this an unreserved 5 stars. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Read it to the one you love for Valentine's Day!  *****5-stars*****




No comments:

Post a Comment