Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Review of Carpe DiEmily by Riley J. Ford


Well, here I am to prove again that I don't have a favorite genre...I just like great characters. This book really proved it to me, once again. I DON'T HAVE A FAVORITE GENRE PEOPLE! JUST SAYIN'. This book proved it in it's awesomeness because romantic comedy is not my genre, but as I have already reiterated, I don't have a genre anymore. LOL! You should all check out this book!

Carpe DiEmily by Riley J. Ford!

Here is a description straight from Ms. Ford's website 

Emily Keane has her life all planned out. She’s played by the rules and never stepped outside her box, and now she will finally be rewarded with everything she always dreamed of: a job promotion, a fiancĂ©, and a future she can count on. But when her perfectly planned world falls apart, Emily is plunged into the wildest year of her life.
From the beaches of California to Jamaica, New York, and Europe, Emily finds herself on a madcap race against time, running from an unscrupulous organ broker who wants her dead, all the while checking items off her unusual bucket list. On top of it all, she’s falling in love with the most unlikely person, a man who can never return her feelings . . . but will his friendship be enough?
Confronting one hilarious misadventure after another, Emily finally learns who she really is and how to seize the day . . .
        ___________________________________________

So why did I like this book so much. 

Characters: Awesome! So Awesome! If I had one complaint about books by some authors, it's that the characters are all the same. There really is little difference between all of the characters. They get hard to follow. Emily is not everyone else, she spends most of her time with life following a certain set of prescribed rules and never deviating from them. Her neuroses make her the perfect character to fall into the various misadventures of this book. She is hilarious and so, so unsure of who she really is. Great character! Simone is another one that is really a person all of her own. I have met people like her that are so willing to take people at face value and believe in them 100%. Even when they are wrong, they don't hold onto that, and still look at each person individually. One of those free spirits, ya know? All of the characters in this book made it a real joy to read. Bravo Ms. Ford!

Locations: Emily just about goes everywhere int he world in this book and each place that she is goes to is more interesting, with lots of local color to keep it interesting. I really believed that I was in Jamaica, New York, and various locations in Europe! My favorites were Jamaica with Simone, and Pamplona with Tyler! I really felt like I was there in those places! Awesome writing.

Themes: Who are you? Is your life all that you want it to be? If it's not, why not? Should one take the leap to get to know themselves? How do we do that? One should never judge by first glances. Things are never as they seem. Great themes. I believe that it is these themes that elevated this book from just okay to awesome. It is obvious that Ms. Ford thought about these things as she was writing. The great thing is that the themes did what all great themes do...they melted into the story so I didn't really think about hem until I finished the book and was thinking about it after words. This is more impressive than I can put words to.

Altogether, I would recommend this book to anyone that likes romantic comedies, or to anyone that likes well-drawn characters. Such a great book, I don't even know what to say, except give it a try.

You can pick it up at:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Kobo
Audible

or go to Amazon and pick up the first half of this book for free and try it out!
Amazon Free



No comments:

Post a Comment